Monday, July 19, 2010

Reflection

NIWP
After the End
by Barry Lane
Chapters 1 - 5

Books aren't written. They are rewritten.
Michael Crichton --- few writers would know better than Crichton, the author of many, many books and television screen writing! I think I"ll believe him.


When I first ordered this book in January, I was really excited because it came with such high recommendations from the upcoming Spring NWP conference in Spokane. But when the book arrived, I have to admit to being very disappointed: how could teaching and learning revision be any fun??? Seriously!!! I put my name and date inside the cover page, and tossed it into my school bookshelf thinking anything else would be more interesting to read. Little did I know that in seven months I would be raving about this book and revision, and actually looking forward to revising my own work!

While I'm confessing my lack of talents, I must admit to not being very excited to read content information unless it regards something that I am particularly interested in, for instance knitting. I have a difficult time breaking down the info to where I am at knowledge-wise, and learning from there. After the End was in the category that I didn't want to pursue because I could not fathom how revising could be interesting nor how it could be taught! Little did I know or understand!

The first five chapters in Lane's book actually make sense to me, thanks to slowly reading them and our class discussions! It was like a series of flashbulbs going off in my head as Lane was able to breakdown so many writing techniques that I had no idea even existed. And with each one, I was able to better grasp how I can improve as a writer and as a teacher, explaining these to my students! (Yeh!!!)

I have trouble distinquishing what thoughtshots are - I think I understand but then I get all muddled up again. So I have been rereading Chapter 3. Lane's example on page 48 helps me sort things out between snapshots and thoughtshots. "...if writers are just writing snapshots, perhaps their writing could benefit from the introspection and personalality development a thoughtshot brings to a character, or the larger purpose reflection can add to an essay. Or perhaps the writer could tint her snapshot with the emotions of thoughts of her character or herself. Writers learn to tint their snapshots with a character's feelings and visa versa."

I need to practice this technique so that it comes more naturally to me in the future!

Another cool part of Lane's book is Chapter 5, Explode a Moment, Shrink a Century. Lane's own chapter quote: Time to a writer is like playdough in the hands of a toddler. What an interesting thought! I like the idea of exploding the moment - getting all the pithy details out there for the reader to visualize and contemplate! Why couldn't I have thought of that? It seems so logical yet it's a amazing revelation! The Explosion of te sister pouring the milk over her younger sister's head was done perfectly; I could see and almost feel the cold liquid making a huge mess all over the child and the floor!

Next month, when I go back to my classroom, I will reorganize my professional bookshelf and put Lane in the front for quick and easy reference. Thank you for insisting that we read this book as I wouldn't have done so otherwise!

1 comment:

  1. Lane would be happy to know he has moved to the front. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete