Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Reflection

NIWP
What I Learned From Our SI Workshops

Audrey's Workshop: A Potpourri of Ideas for Beginning Writers
  • Ideas for working with younger students using the Writer's Workshop
  • Using the senses and to write about them after examining a slice of lemon - such a simple but amazing way for students, and the teacher, to recognize our senses. This also brought back memories of wearing the popular lemon perfume in the early 70s. Thank you, Audrey, for that flashback to 8th grade in the local drugstore at Kingman, Arizona!
Cheryl Forster's Workshop: Using Music to Inspire Creative Workshop
  • I love the ideas of recreating funny words to old rhymes that was fun and a great way to get all students involved in the recreation of old favorites.
  • I want to try using music as a prompt to journal writing or as a freewrite. Thank you, Cheryl, for the ideas of using music into the classroom as another way to connect with students who may not get that variety or experience at home!

Virginia Elliott's Workshop: A Few Survival Strategies for Teaching and /or Using Writing: with Children with Aspergers
  • I will be more aware of the special needs of a child with Aspergers. The story frame explanation is a wonderful way to explain a change in routine to the student.
  • I will be able to help a student learn how to hold their pencil because of the diagrammed document geared to both right and left-handed students! Thank you, Virginia for bringing this "simple" process to the forefront of my mind - something that I take for granted can actually be a great challenge to someone else!

Megan Cuellar's Workshop: 6-Trait Writing for the Younger Learner
  • I will be able to reteach (or remind) my students the beauty and depth of a picture book, and how they can use it as a jumping off point to write from one of the six traits.
  • I am more aware and appreciative to how far my 6th graders have come from kindergarten! Thank you, Megan, for reminding me! I can only imagine how hard you work!!!


Lupe Sims Workshop: What is a Writer's Notebook Anyway?

  • Using Writer's Notebooks in my classes will give students a place to jot their notes during class, keep record of special events or experiences.
  • Lupe demonstrated how the notebooks can be an extension of the student's thoughts; their reflections on lessons, books, and classroom presentations. I'm excited to get started with this! Thank you, Lupe, for the composition notebook, pen, and bookmark, as well as your great presentation!

Cheryl Kintner's Workshop: Lots of Writing Ideas to Use With Molly's Pilgrim
  • I will be able to expand my student's perception on what being a 'pilgrim' actually is, not just the stereotype of someone who stepped off the Mayflower. This is important for our current citizens to understand and appreciate about the people immigrating to the United States.
  • I will also be able to create a writing/investigation piece about student's heritage - many aren't aware of their roots! this will help to better connect their families! Thank you, Cheryl for this insight!

No comments:

Post a Comment